Friday, December 28, 2012
Early Morning Structure Fire
On December 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Engine 511 and Chief 501 recieved an alarm for a possible structure fire in the walls of a residence on Alta Dr. Upon the arrival of Engine 511, there was nothing showing and the homeowners waving around to the rear of the structure. Crews found an exterior wall in the rear that had caught fire after ashes from a fireplace were placed in the area and thought to be out. The container caught on fire and reached the wall where it spread approximately halfway up the wall. Crews removed portions of the siding and wall to check for further extension. This fire could have been avoided, placing your fireplace ashes in a metal container away from the house is the preferred method of disposing them. In this incident, the homeowners thought their ashes were well cold which started a fire while everyone was sleeping on a night that was in the 20's. Damages to the structure were low and no injuries were reported.