Sunday, December 18, 2011

Smoke Detector Proves Its Worth

The motto often used for smoke detectors is "A sound you can live with" and this may have been just the case. On December 18, 2011 at 2:12 AM, an alarm was recieved for a residential fire alarm activation at a McLane Way residence. Upon the arrival of Engine 511, no smoke was visible but the residents were outside of the structure. Crews made entry into the smoke filled structure and located the origin of the fire. A pile of rags that had cleaning solution on them had spontaneously combusted on the dining room table and began filling the house with toxic smoke. The items were removed from the residence while crews began ventilation of the structure. The occupants were assessed at the scene and released with no injuries.

When talking to the homeowners they stated "That's worth the $20 dollars a month" referring to the cost of the alarm system which is monitored by Southwest Alarm Services. "We didn't smell the smoke, the fire alarm is what woke us up and the smoke was just so thick, it burned our eyes" He said.

Crews remained on scene for approximately 3 hours until the home was safe to re-enter. No other damages or injuries were sustained from the incident. This incident is a reminder to check your smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors and make sure they are in working condition, they might just make the difference.

Article Submitted by Firefighter Ron Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment